To no one’s surprise who has been keeping up with its progressive agenda, the loftiest court in the land voted that states must legitimize same-sex marriages. Perhaps ‘Supremacist Court’ would be a better title for it. It most certainly is not “The” Supreme Court (Heaven’s Tribunal, henceforth so designated in this article). For decades, the Supremacist Court has taken upon itself to be the ultimate guiding force in legal matters. By all appearances, it believes its power is ultimate, fully expecting the President, Congress, and the American people to abide by its decisions or face the consequences. Unless and until we elect a Congress and President who recognize their equal, not subordinate, powers to it, dredge up the intestinal fortitude, and resurrect a virtuous if not entirely God-honoring nature, to rein it in, it will continue to rule the land as if it were Omnipotence Incarnate.
This latest ruling changes some things, but does not change others. It does change:
- How succeeding generations of Americans (and others) will view marriage. While the Supreme Court (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) have expressly stated what marriage is – the heterosexual binding of one man and one woman for life, unless fornication is committed by either party and divorce is sought (Matthew 19:5-12) – this ruling sends the message that God’s Commandment on it is of no effect and irrelevant. They have raised a fist in defiance of the Almighty and cast a “stumbling block” in the path of others. May God have mercy on their souls and all those whom they have misled (Luke 17:1, 2; Revelation 2:14-16).
- Whether Christians and Church leaders will conform or not. If not and preachers refuse to perform “gay marriages” it will likely mean loss of money, buildings, property, etc., arising from lawsuits. Opposition leaders may even face jail time. On the other hand, those who conform to this ruling will compromise the faith and will be revealed as “men-pleasers” (Ephesians 6:6), too cowardly to stand up for Christ’s words (Mark 8:38). To the good, this will assist in the separation of the “wheat from the chaff” (Luke 3:15-17). For many long years the Body of Christ has needed a purging – the final cutting off of dead limbs that no longer are producing the fruit of the Spirit within the Vine (John 15:1-6). All will see and know. This works as a litmus test for politicians, too. We are either in Christ and for Christ or we are against Him; we either gather together with Him or we scatter. “Fence riders,” cowards, the fearful and turncoats will be exposed for what they are so we all may know wherein their true allegiance lies (Matthew 12:30; 21:25; 1 John 2:18, 19; Revelation 3:15, 16; 21:8). Even something horribly sinful may have a silver thread running through it, if not a silver lining.
This ruling will not change some things:
- God’s definition of marriage has not changed nor will it – ever. The Supreme Court has given its verdict. What any earthly, humanistic, Supremacist Court has ruled is rendered utterly false and invalid according to Holy Writ.
- People will still be judged by The Supreme Court’s ruling. All the joyfulness, dancing, revelry, and sordid exhibitions of sexual freedom that are resulting from this decision will turn into horror, dismay, anguish, and ultimately torment when the Supreme Court is called into session at the Last Day and all of us give account unto God (John 12:48). Please note that this is something that all those who love the souls of all people should grieve over. The prospect of our fellow human beings, whom God loves despite their sin, being cast out from His Divine Presence for all eternity is certainly nothing for Christians to be happy about. Yet it will happen regardless and no power on earth can stop it.
- Some of us will not stop preaching the truth. We are to “obey God rather than men” (Acts 5:29) when it comes to matters separating truth from fiction, truth from lies, primarily that which will lead the lost further down the road to eternal ruin. We know we must all stand before the judgment bar of God and Christ to “give account of deeds done in the body whether they be good or evil” (John 5:28, 29; Hebrews 9:27). Being numbered among those good deeds will be the possession of a godly spirit which will not be threatened, bought, beaten down, humiliated, or silenced into submission by those bent on rejecting God’s will. Our conviction is firm. It is unassailable. Therefore, if we suffer, we suffer; if fined, we pay; if threatened, we bear it patiently; if we die, we die. Will you and I, O Christian, be of this sort, or will we draw back? (Hebrews 10:38).
This is one more sign that this nation as a whole has rejected God. We must not take this personally. As God told Samuel when Israel sought a king – the rejection of the Divine is what is at the heart of all worldly “progressiveness” (1 Samuel 8:7). God often allows the godless to have their way. He will, however, in His own time and own way, enforce a reckoning and, in my belief, the process has clearly already begun.
Don’t be overwrought by this decision nor despair. It is not the Supremacist Court to whom we must ultimately give answer. Rather, we must be prepared for when The Supreme Court invokes and enforces its ruling once and for all, upon us all.
We may be viewed as “on the wrong side of history” but we are surely on the right side of eternity. Let us remain so.